A Higher Education Institution is treated as a temple of learning and Library its sanctum sanctorum. Library is reservoir of information and knowledge. Hence it plays a critical role in the dissemination of knowledge. A user-friendly library impacts positively the learning process.
St. Philomena College Library became operational in 1958 with a modest collection of titles. Library Services were provided functioning from the first floor of the main College Building. The arrangement continued until 1969 when the arrangement was shifted to a new Block with a plinth area of 9236.64 SQ FT ((858.42 Sq. Mtrs.).
The important Sections in the Library are, Separate Reading Room for Men & Women Students & Staff, Work Area, Reference Section, News Paper Section, Stack Section and Weed Out Books Section. A Separate Pre- University College Library was set up in the year 2005 when St. Philomena Pre-University College was carved out from the Degree College. The College is also having Separate library for Post- Graduation Students.
The College Library functions on all working days from 8.30 A.M. to 4.30 P.M. and on Saturday 8.30 A.M. to 1 P.M. It is closed on Sunday and Public Holidays.
Objectives of the Library:
- To be a Centre for Information & Knowledge so as to benefit the students in particular and the society in general.
- To procure, organize and preserve the Learning Resources in print and electronic mode in different branches of human knowledge and share them among the knowledge seekers, particularly the student community.
- To help the students develop general awareness by supplying them with material on current affairs.
- To promote the habit of reading among the students and make it a vocation.
- To meet the requirements of the students and the staff in their research pursuits.
The library collection includes Textbooks, General books. Reference books, Literature & Value education books, periodicals, bound volumes of journals, newspapers and educational CD/DVD’s.
- Total Number of Books – 44250
- Total Number of Titles – 25085
- Rare Books – 339
- Popular Magazines – 25
- Competitive & Career development Magazines – 20
- Subject journals – 17
- Peer Reviewed Journals – 15
- Back Volumes – 750
- News Papers – 14
- Educational CD/DVDs – 160
Membership of library is open to the Students and Staff of the College. The Library provides to each student One Membership Card for Reference and Two Borrowers Cards to borrow the books. The cards will have to be returned to the Library at the end of the academic year before collecting Admission Tickets for the University Examination. The Cards are not transferable. The Teaching staffs are provided with 1 reference Card and 10 Borrowers Card and Non-Teaching staff with 2 Borrowers Card.
Library facility is extended for reference to Alumni, Parents and the public.
Duration of Borrowings:
A book can be borrowed for a period of 15 days by the students. It can be renewed for 15 more days provided that book is not demanded by any other member. If the book is not returned within the due date, a fine of Rs.3.00 per day will be collected as overdue charge. The Staff should return the books before the end of the academic year.
The Library is computerized and Library database is created using Integrated Library Management Software “EASYLIB”. Barcode technology is used for easy transaction.
OPAC facility is available which allows the readers to search the books by Author, Title, Publisher, Accession Number, subject, Class No., Keywords etc and helps them to know the status of availability in the library and reserve them if they are lent out.
The other unique features of the library are,
- Fully Computerized library services
- OPAC facility
- Free Broad Band Internet facility with BSNL Optical Connection
- Subscription to INFLIBNET – N-LIST programme which gives access to 31,35,000+ eBooks and 6000+ eJournals http://nlist.inflibnet.ac.in/
- Extra reading materials for the advanced learners.
- Annual Best Library User Awards
- Organizing Book Exhibition and awareness programmes
- Orientation to New students on the use of library resources.
- Compilation University Exam questions papers
- New Arrivals Display
- Deposit Scheme Book facility during April/ May Examination
- Information about library is provided inthe College website (spcputtur.org). Links are given to useful websites, e-books, e-journals and e-newspapers.
Rules and Regulations:
The students are required to comply with the library rules and regulations which are highlighted in the College Calendar. Disciplinary action will be taken against such student who does not comply with the rules and regulations.
Abdul Rahman G.
S.G. College Librarian
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone : 08251-298440